Friday, June 17, 2011

Book Review: Accused, Kate Kaynak



The Plot:  Isaiah is finally dead, but the people of Ganzfield still aren’t safe.  Someone in the government knows about G-positives, and wants to use them as military weapons.  Maddie is detained for questioning in a series of mysterious murders, and when she doesn’t talk, she is tortured.  After she is finally released, Maddie has to tell the rest of the Ganzfield group that they are no longer safe, and they prepare to be attacked, again.  Meanwhile, Maddie still has to deal with her relationships with Trevor and her overly protective mother, help her friend Rachel deal with the birth of her baby and the death of her boyfriend, and try to regain her speech.


Like the rest of the Ganzfield books, Accused is a fun, light-hearted read.  I really like that we get to see the major drawbacks to having “superpowers.”  I’m sure most people have wished that they had an extra sense at some point; I know I have.  But the Ganzfield teens really struggle with their abilities.  It doesn’t make their lives easier at all. It is proof of Kaynak’s talent as an author that the characters in her books seem like normal people, despite their special abilities.  My biggest complaint is the sexual tension throughout the books.  I really don’t remember being quite that hormonal at seventeen, (perhaps because I didn’t know Trevor) and it detracts from the drama and danger surrounding Ganzfield.  I do, however, appreciate the fact that sex is not a casual thing in the series, and the problems of premarital sex are openly discussed.  My favorite part of Accused *minor spoiler* is Maddie and Trevor’s wedding.  It is one of the absolute sweetest things I’ve read in a long time.  Of course, the way the book ends makes it impossible not to read the next one in the series.  Unfortunately, it doesn’t come out for quite a while, so I guess I’ll just have to wait.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment