Monday, December 19, 2011

Book Review: Mastiff, Taomra Pierce

        Beka and her friends will face their greatest and most important challenge ever when the young heir to the kingdom vanishes. They will be sent out of Corus on a trail that appears and disappears, following a twisting road throughout Tortall. It will be her greatest Hunt—if she can survive the very powerful people who do not want her to succeed in her goal. (Goodreads)

              I try really hard not to go “crazy fan-girl” in my reviews, but sometimes I just can’t help it. Tamora Pierce is AMAZING. Mastiff is a perfect conclusion to the Beka Cooper trilogy, and the way it all ties into the bigger Tortall picture is GENIUS! Okay, I’m done now, on the review.

            Mastiff picks up several years after we last saw Beka, and she’s at her fiancé’s funeral. My first thought was, “Beka was engaged? Since when?” I did feel a little disoriented in the first chapter, but all of Beka’s friends from the first few books make an appearance, and since I never actually met her betrothed, I didn’t mourn him. The plot was fast-paced and flawless. I could barely put the book down. And when the traitor to the crown was revealed I was blown away! I totally did not see that coming. Apparently, Beka and I have different ideas in the love department, but that’s okay. I was always partial to Rosto, while she has different ideas. And even though I’ve never fallen in love with her man, it works for her. Honestly, it is refreshing to occasionally read about a female main character who doesn’t spend most of her time worrying about relationships. Beka is a busy girl, but if a cove can keep up, good for him!

The way the book ended was perfect and sad and made me want to re-read the Song of the Lioness quartet. That’s all I can say without giving it away. But I highly recommend this book to all readers, new to Tortall, or long-time residents.


Rating: 5/5 stars

YA notes: mild language and brief suggestive content.

Book provided by book divas.

No comments:

Post a Comment