Monday, February 18, 2013

Playlists?

Okay authors/aspiring authors/ anyone else who wants to comment: I've noticed a lot of authors talking about and/or publishing playlists that they listened to while writing. I'm always looking for new ways to get the creative juices flowing, so I'm curious as to how this works. Do you just listen as background noise, or loop a particular song until you get a scene right?

When I read a playlist, I find it's about 50/50. I either completely see where a song fits the mood/ narrative, or I'm like "What does that have to do with anything?" So, which is it? Should you just listen to music you like as you write, or look for songs that have meaning to you in the the story, even if no one else will get it?

As a side note, doesn't listening to the song make it hard to concentrate on writing? Of course, it's hard to concentrate while listening to a screaming toddler as well, but you do what you have to do... I am completely open to comments, opinions, suggestions. I think it's an interesting idea, I'm just not sure how it works. Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment