Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Review: Mind Games (Mind Games #1) Kiersten White

Fia was born with flawless instincts. Her first impulse, her gut feeling, is always exactly right. Her sister, Annie, is blind to the world around her—except when her mind is gripped by strange visions of
the future. 
Trapped in a school that uses girls with extraordinary powers as tools for corporate espionage, Annie and Fia are forced to choose over and over between using their abilities in twisted, unthinkable ways…or risking each other’s lives by refusing to obey. Goodreads


Oh my WOW. I'll admit, I've put off reading this one, because I loved the Paranormalcy trilogy, and I was afraid Mind Games wouldn't live up to it. And I will say, this book is absolutely nothing like the trilogy. Paranormalcy is light and fluffy and fun-like a cupcake. Mind Games is rich and dark and full of awesome-like a fine chocolate. But enough with the comparing (and snack references).

I loved, loved, loved this book. The shifting POV and time settings were just enough to keep me slightly off balance, without leaving me totally confused. The world Kiersten created is equal parts believable and completely terrifying. The concept of using extra mental abilities for evil gain isn't exactly unique, but the way the plot unfolds left my head spinning, and now I have so many questions for book two!

As far as the characters go, this may sound weird, but I didn't really *love* any of them. I really want to love Fia, and she is my favorite, but right now she seems so broken and confused about who she really is, that I can't love her. But I CAN root for her to kick some serious butt! Annie, the second POV, just rubbed me the wrong way once too often. She seemed weak and/or selfish for the majority of the book. But then again, the last few chapters give me hope that she'll be awesome in book 2.

The love interests...I'm not even sure you could call them that. James definitely has the hot-bad boy appeal, ans Adam seems a little like a lost puppy you just want to pick up and cuddle. BUT we haven't been able to see the full character of either boy yet, and there is definitely something else going on with them. Besides all that, Fia and Annie are in deep, and relationship issues are the last things they need to worry about right now So I'm glad that there wasn't an abundance relationship drama.

My only complaint is that the book was too short. But if it was 10,000 pages, I'd probably still say that. I wish I could give this on 12 stars!

Actual rating: 5/5 stars
YA notes: Minor drug/alcohol references

No comments:

Post a Comment